Monday, February 12, 2018

Consumers

Daily at work when I help people and I see how much debt they've accumulated I ask them if they really recall how it got to this point.  It always starts the same..well I bought a brand new car...then I got that big tv...I ate out everyday, I went out with friends when I had no money.  A credit card charge here and there for a night out added up to thousands in debt.  That's how the cycle starts, you're addicted to being an ultra consumer because it provides a small positive response and makes you forget your debt or problems, but this very action of spending money to temporarily make you happy is why you're anxious and stressed about the future in the first place.  Instead of applying self discipline to your life, delaying gratification and working hard on a real tangible goal to become happy, you consume a product which may make you content...but it won't make you happy.  I'm hoping that 18 year old Soldier reading this right now will take this to heart before making these bad decisions.  To balance out talking about the ones I talk to at work in debt, I do get the few who are going in the right directions.  I spoke to a young Soldier who was getting renters insurance and noticed he had a 1999 Honda Accord.  I asked him if he was planning to buy a new car anytime soon (with the intent of telling him not to and keep his accord).  He immediately went on the defensive and replied "No, and I'm not interested in a new car or loan".  When I explained to him why I asked and was actually going to encourage him to stay out of debt he was a bit surprised.  When I asked him why he was defensive he said because since he joined the Army everyone is trying to sell you something.  When he goes to the PX the first thing he gets asked is "Do you want a Star Card today?" (which are absolutely horrible cards, if you have one pay it off and cut it up).  He said he's bombarded with someone somewhere trying to sell him something he doesn't need because they know he has a guaranteed paycheck.  After we talked for a while I told him to stay just how he is now then in 10 years when he wants that new car he'll be pulling out a debit card to pay for it, not getting an auto loan.  You're bred to be a consumer from birth, mass media from the moment you can form memories is already trying to sell you something.  It's human nature to want to buy things, it's our society.  This will be multiplied once you're in the Military.  A lot of you will soon be making more money than you ever have, and you'll likely have almost no living expenses.  Don't live above your means.  Save your money.  Set a budget, set an amount to have fun on for entertainment, but it should be structured.  If you start indulging in being the run of the mill consumer you will see that scale tip from a lot of excess money to having nothing left over after pay day.  No one in your unit is going to care that you have that new BMW, most of them won't even be around you after another year or so.  Take care of yourself first and pay yourself first by saving.  Stay smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment